RE: st: Re: normal distributions

From   "Gene Fisher" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: normal distributions
Date   Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:14:15 -0400

Regression coefficients are functions of sums of random variables (sum(X),
sum(X^2), sum(XY), so that the CLT applies to them.  The variance of the
regression coefficient is also a sum of random variables (the residuals, and
of X and X^2 if the X's are not fixed), so the distribution of the ratio of
the regression coefficient to its standard error tends toward a standard
normal distribution as N approaches infinity.  But we don't know so readily
how close to normal b/se(b) is for a given distribution of Y (and possibly
X) and N.  Convergence is a lot faster if the residuals are symmetrical than
if they are skewed.
Also, looking at Serfling's Approximation Theorems of Mathematical
Statistics, pp 125-126, it may be that se(b)^2 is not the asymptotic
variance of b (He talks about the sampling distribution of the correlation
coefficient).  I think it is, but I haven't looked at this in a long time.

Gene Fisher
Department of Sociology
University of Massachusetts
Thompson Hall, 200 Hicks Way