st: Re: append's behavior

From   baum <>
Subject   st: Re: append's behavior
Date   Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:14:53 -0400

--On Friday, July 19, 2002 2:33 -0400 NickW wrote:

Even better, how about having -append- return the number of common
variables, and the number of unique variables from the master and using
datasets?  Then one could automate the checking of whether it worked...
I agree, these would be useful outputs. But unlike merge, which can do many things and thus often needs to be checked (via tab _merge, etc.), append in the mode that it is usually used is a one-trick pony: it just concats the datafiles. Now I see that it is capable of doing fancier things, and sometimes that might be what someone is trying to do. But I guess something that would give a warning when the number of variables in the two datasets differ, and a severe warning when they lack any commonality, would be helpful. In my experience, most of the time when using append one doesn't think that either of those conditions should occur.

* For searches and help try: