st: Re: Panel data manipulation question

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Panel data manipulation question
Date   Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:14:39 -0600

I think something like this should work.  Using data available from Stata
Press website:

use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r7/grunfeld.dta, clear
gen m10 = mv if company == 10
for num 180(-20)20 : replace m10 = m10[_n +X ] if  m10== .
gen X = mv / m10

This will create variable X, the market value (mv) of each firm divided by
the market value of firm 10.

Scott Merryman

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brooks Taggert J" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 2:07 PM
Subject: st: Panel data manipulation question

> Statlisters-
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to do this easily, although I'm quite sure
it must be possible.  I have a panel data set on individual countries and I
want to create a new variable.  The variable is going to be the ratio of a
variable I already have in my dataset, we'll call it P.  I want to create a
variable we'll call X where x=p/p(i==72).  That is to say I want to deflate
all the values of p, by the value of p for country 72, for the corresponding
year.  I thought about trying to grab the time series for that specific
country and appending it to every other country, but that seems awkward.
I've thought about reshaping the data, but that seems tedious as well.  Any
suggestions are always appreciated.