st: RE: return the name of the variable of greater rank

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: return the name of the variable of greater rank
Date   Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:21:34 -0400

  gen str1 varcompare=""
  gen valmax=max(var1 var2 var3 var4 var5)
  foreach v in var1 var2 var3 var4 var5 {
    replace varcompare=varcompare+" `v'" if `v'==valmax
  }

This will put multiple varnames in the variable in case of ties.  If you
don't want that,
take out the "varcompare+" part of the replace statement.

-Nick Winter