st: Re: yearly->monthly

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: yearly->monthly
Date   Wed, 03 Jul 2002 16:30:09 -0400

--On Tuesday, July 2, 2002 2:33 -0400 Alejandro wrote:

My problem is that i want to merge the var1 of the first database into the
second one and in that way trasform my second bilateral base from a yearly
frecuency to a monthly one. Do you have any idea about how could i do
this ?
It is not clear from what you describe how you want to deal with the fact that you have only one annual obs. for each 12 monthly obs. Do you want the annual obs. to line up with, say, the December obs. in the monthly dataset? Then it is just an issue of getting a variable in the second dataset that is %tm, with the month always December. Then you can make the first database long (so that each row is a country for a given month) and merge the two on the date variable.

But it seems like you may also want to do something to the annual obs. It would be simple if you just wanted to repeat var2 for each month in the year; is that what you have in mind?

Kit Baum

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/