st: RE: may not use time-series operators on string variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: may not use time-series operators on string variables
Date   Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:53:19 +0100

Lee Chuntao

>    In my dataset there is a variable v1, which is a string
> variable. I try to use l.v1, after i set the time variable (eg,
> tsset time). I don't know why stata do not permit timeseries
> operators on string variables, it seems not reasonable for the
> lag or lead operators, beyond the difference operators
>
> i wonder if there is some sort way so that i can use the laged
> string variable?

Yes. -destring- your string variable first. Stata quite reasonably
wants you to have your variables with numeric meaning held as numeric.