Re: st: Cross-Sectional Time Series

From   anirban basu <>
Subject   Re: st: Cross-Sectional Time Series
Date   Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:52:40 -0500 (CDT)

Hi John,

With reg command and cluster option, one basically imposes an exchangeable
correlation structure on the data. i.e assume corr (y(i), y(j)) = rho,
where i ne j and  i,j are any two observation from the same cluster. Rho
is constant for every pair of observation within a cluster. So, one can
visuaize it in terms of a random effects model where :

Y(k) = Xb + U(k) + e, where k represents clusters and U(k) is a
cluster-specific random effect that is common to all observation in that
cluster. However, -reg- does not give estimates of this random effect. It
just estimates -betas- assuming this structure.

However, this estimation is correct only if U(k) are uncorrelated with
Xs. i.e. the unobserved characteristics of a cluster over time is
uncorrelated with the X over time. If not then fixed effects is useful.

With fixed effects, one evades the correlation problem by taking
differences. i.e for any cluster k:

Y(ik) - Y(1k) = [X(ik) - X(1k)]b + [e(ik) - e(1k)]

Note that by taking the difference, the unobserved U(k) is eliminated.
However, fixed effects assume the U(k) is fixed over time for any cluster
k. i.e. the unobserved characteristics of a cluster is not changing over
time. Also, since we are taking a difference, fixed effects model cannot
estimate the betas for baseline covariates since they cancel out in the

Hope this helps,

Doctoral Student
Harris School of Public Policy Studies
University of Chicago