st: Pharmacokenetic analysis

From   "Li, Wenjun" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Pharmacokenetic analysis
Date   Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:29:07 -0400

Hi, everyone,

I have some experimental pharmacoknetic data that I am not sure if it is
proper to use STATA's pk* commands.

The experiment is as follows,

After injecting a dose of drug or placebo to mouse, then the mousses are
sacrificed and their liver removed at the specified time points. Following
sacrifice, extracts and RNA are prepared, and outcomes such as PCNA, cyclin
D1, Histone 3.2 mRNA etc are measured.

Experiment: Tests of effect of drug on Liver Cell Regeneration

		Control		Dose 1		Dose 2

Time		5*		5		5
0 hr.		5		5		5
30 min.		5		5		5
1 hr.		5		5		5
2 hr.		5		5		5
4 hr.		5		5		5
6 hr.		5		5		5
12 hr.		5		5		5
24 hr.		5		5		5
36 hr.		5		5		5
48 hr.		5		5		5
72 hr.		5		5		5

* indicates number of observations at each time point.

In this experiment, each subject has one measure at a single time point. My
question is what procedures of STATA I should use, and how to estimate
sample size and conduct power analysis.

I understand that STATA's pk* commands deal with data such that each subject
has observations for all time points. (Is this my misunderstanding about
pk*?)   Could anyone point me a direction to solve this problem using STATA?

Many thanks,

Wenjun Li

Wenjun Li
Biostatistics Research Center