st: matrix glsaccum problem

From   "Richard Upward" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: matrix glsaccum problem
Date   Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:25:43 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

We are currently baffled by the description of
-glsaccum- in the manual [P] pp.151-152, as there are no examples.

We are trying to create a weighted cross-product matrix of the form
X'WX, where the weighting matrix W is potentially different for each
observation in the data. W is therefore potentially n by n in dimension
(albeit with zeros everywhere except the leading diagonal), and since n
is about 1 million, we clearly cannot create W directly.

We had thought that, rather like -matrix accum-,
-matrix glsaccum- would allow us to specify a variable which contained
the weights to be used in W.  But it seems that one must specify W as a
matrix.  The manual seems to assume that W varies only across relatively
broad "groups" and is therefore quite small in dimension.

We are obviously missing something obvious, but with no concrete example
we are rather stuck.  Can anyone show us the (probably obvious)
solution?

Thanks for your time

Richard

Richard Upward