st: Re: Formatting variables

From   "Marcela Perticara" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Formatting variables
Date   Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:12:21 -0500

You can also use the substring function.

qui gen str9 hhid=substr(snid,1,1)+"0"+substr(snid,2,7)

Also keep in mind that you can check the length of the string in a previous
command, and only execute
this line for the observations or files where the string has eight digits
instead of nine.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Siyam,AA (pgr)" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:51 PM
Subject: st: Formatting variables

> Dear Stata-listers,
>
> I am sorry to bother you with, but I have checked the FAQ contents and
have spent a few hours now trying to understand what STATA is doing with the
following:

> basically I have an identification variable "snid" that should be made-up
of 9 digits, arranged as follows
> digit       1 = Oblast no. (1 to 8)
> digits  2-3=rayon no. (01 to 09)
> digits  4-5=population point (01 to 55)
> digits  6-7=segment no. (01 to 18)
> digits  8-9=household number (01 to 20)
>
> Instead for some of the files I have, "snid" coming out with 8 digits as a
result of bad coding ( rayon number above should have been stored as 01 to
09 but instead was entered as 1 to 9).  What I thought I could do was the
following

> . destring id, gen(snid) float
> . format snid %9.0f
> . gen hhid=100000000 + (snid-10000000)
> . format hhid %9.0f
> . list snid hhid
>            snid           hhid
>    1.  11010101  101010104
>    2.  11010102  101010104
>    3.  11010103  101010104
>    4.  11010104  101010104
>   24.  11010401  101010400
>   25.  11010402  101010400
>   26.  11010403  101010400
>   27.  11010404  101010400
>   28.  11010405  101010408
>   29.  11010406  101010408
>
> I can see that "zero" has been added, I can't understand why is STATA
changing the last two digits of the newly created variable "hhid" .