st: RE: reading a value from a file into a scalar

To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: reading a value from a file into a scalar
From   Finne H�kon <[email protected]>
Date   Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:55:45 +0200
Reply-to   [email protected]
Sender   [email protected]

Here is an unfinished idea:
Unless you are using Stata for Macintosh, -environment name- will return the
contents of the operating system's environment variable so named. If you
could write the output number of your Maple operation (as a string, I think
is better) to the operating system environment, then that's a place where
Stata could pick it up. For example, under Windows, the Stata command -!set
/p maple=<c:\maple.txt- would make Windows read its maple environment
variable from the contents of the file c:\maple.txt . Unfortunately,
however, this particular env.var. is only available directly within the
shell opened by ! , which closes before you go back to Stata ; so you would
have find a way to set a more 'permanent' environment variable either from
within Stata or from Maple or from a batch file that contains the maple
command and the inv.vir. command and is invoked from Stata. This might be
easier under Unix - ??

I hope this helps.

H�kon

H�kon Finne